Leave Feedback

Man to serve 31/2 years for assault

Courtney Astolfi • May 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM

A Sandusky man who brutally assaulted his girlfriend at a Ransom Street home last summer is now behind bars for the ordeal.

Timothy Johnson, 35, of the 1000 block of E. Monroe St., was recently sentenced to three and a half years in prison, according to court documents.

A Bellevue hospital employee first tipped off Sandusky police to Johnson’s attack on July 2, after they treated the woman’s injuries and transferred her to another facility for specialized care, according to a Sandusky police report.

Detectives soon learned Johnson had viciously assaulted the woman over the course of a few days. On the first night, he broke one side of the woman’s jaw, and about two days later, he broke the other side, police said.

In a 48-hour period, Johnson squeezed the woman’s face, choked and slapped her and tried to smother her with a pillow. He forced her broken jaw open with his fist and essentially water-boarded her in the shower, police said.

“He was making statements about how close he could get her to her death bed” a detective said.

Doctors told investigators the victim suffered broken ribs and possible swelling of the brain.

Johnson was arrested July 15 and an Erie County grand jury later indicted him on three counts felonious assault, two counts attempted murder and domestic violence, and one count each of attempted rape and violating a protection order.

Earlier this year, Johnson accepted a plea deal. His attempted murder and rape charges were dismissed, with Johnson ultimately pleading guilty to felonious assault, felony domestic violence, and a misdemeanor protection order violation.

Johnson and prosecutors agreed to a three-and-a-half year sentence at the time of the plea, and Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Tygh Tone reaffirmed that sentencing decision this spring.

Johnson is now serving his sentence at the Lorain Correctional Institution in Grafton.

Recommended for You