Leave Feedback

Discarded cigarette causes small fire

Sandusky Register Staff • Apr 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Most cigarette warnings are to protect one’s health, not one’s home.

A Port Clinton man found his habit could destroy both, as a discarded cigarette burned off a portion of his deck, Port Clinton fire Chief Kent Johnson said.

Port Clinton firefighters were dispatched at about 6 a.m. Tuesday to an apartment in the 600 block of W. Sixth St., arriving to find a small fire on a deck.

“It was minor, nothing too extravagant” Johnson said.

Firefighters extinguished the flames in less than 10 minutes.

Recommended for You