Leave Feedback

Assault suspect found in Chicago

Courtney Astolfi • Aug 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM

The last Sandusky teen wanted for the brutal 2011 assault of a Ging Street man was located in Chicago earlier this month, and shipped back to Erie County on Thursday.


Fred McDonald, 18, of the 900 block of Hayes Ave., is now awaiting a sentencing hearing on charges of complicity to felonious assault. In a July 2013 plea deal, prosecutors agreed to drop charges of complicity to attempted murder and gang offenses, according to court documents.

Two years prior, McDonald was one of about 30 teens, ages 14 to 16, who took part in the violent beating of Rocco Marinucci, 35.

The crowd attacked Marinucci when he told them to get off his property, after they went there to entice his son to fight, police said. One teen cracked Marinucci over the head with a lead pipe, and another bashed a brick against his head, knocking him unconscious.

Officials opted to try McDonald as an adult in the case, alleging he played a lead role in the attack. After McDonald pleaded guilty to the single assault charge in July, the court allowed him to leave the Erie County jail on a $30,000 personal recognizance bond.

His bond was revoked the following month, however, because new, unrelated charges were filed against McDonald in Sandusky Municipal Court, court records stated. McDonald was never found, and he skipped his Sept. 19 sentencing hearing before Erie County Common Pleas Court Judge Tygh Tone.

Warrants were issued for McDonald’s arrest, but he was not located until a Chicago police officer found him early last week. During a random stop-and-talk Feb. 16, Chicago officers discovered McDonald had an outstanding Erie County warrant.

They arrested him and conveyed the information to local deputies, Erie County Chief Deputy Jared Oliver said. McDonald was held at the Cook County jail until his extradition hearing earlier this week.

Once that concluded, two Erie County deputies booked a flight, retrieved McDonald and escorted him home. Their plane arrived in Cleveland on Thursday evening, and McDonald was taken straight to the Erie County jail, Oliver said. He remains there without bond.

Recommended for You