Leave Feedback

Man charged with felonious assault

Courtney Astolfi • Feb 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Mike Ramey, 42, of the 400 block of Langston Place, was charged with one count of felonious assault.

On Nov. 23, Ramey went out drinking with some friends at Bayside Tavern on U.S. 6. The only other patron there was John Whyde Sr., 64, who lives behind the building, according to an Erie County deputy’s report.

An ambulance was called for Whyde that night, after witnesses and bartenders told emergency personnel he fell off a bar stool.

Whyde’s daughter contacted law enforcement a few days later with a different story. She said an intoxicated Whyde had been flirting with a woman — later found to be Ramey’s girlfriend — who was sitting next to him at the bar, a tavern employee told deputies. At some point, the woman got up to use the restroom and returned to a different stool, leaving Whyde in the seat next to Ramey.

A few minutes passed and Ramey felt Whyde’s hand caressing his neck. He told him to stop, but felt Whyde’s hand again touch his lower back, the report said.

Ten more minutes passed, and Whyde began moving his hand up Ramey’s leg.

A bartender said Whyde had mistaken Ramey for his girlfriend, the report said. The bartender also said Whyde “had even begun kissing (Ramey’s) arm”

After Ramey protested, both men stood up and Ramey pushed Whyde away.

It was then Whyde fell to the floor, hit his head and passed out. He was flown by medical helicopter to MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland because he was knocked unconscious, with blood coming from his ears, deputies said.

The impact caused brain lesions, and it took Whyde two weeks in the hospital to realize where he was, the report said.

Ramey was arrested Monday after deputies had a chance to review medical records and confer with Erie County Assistant Prosecutor Jeanne Lippert regarding charges.

He was taken to the Erie County jail, assigned a $40,000 bond, and released later Monday afternoon.

Recommended for You