Perkins Township Fire Department
Perkins still investigating Tuesday fires
Sandusky Register Staff
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Perkins officials are still gathering information on two fires that had emergency crews scrambling about the township Tuesday evening.
A fire at about 6:30 p.m. at a Shady Lane home caused significant damage to the second floor and attic, and there was also water and smoke damage throughout, according to Perkins firefighters. No one was injured.
About 45 minutes later, firefighters were dispatched to America’s Best Value Inn at Milan Road and Ohio 2. Perkins fire Chief Keith Wohlever said damage from the fire there was minimal, but there was smoke damage. The hotel is supposed to be vacant this time of year. The fire was on the facility’s second floor.
Click HERE for photos from the fires
“Anytime you have a building that’s not occupied and you have a fire in it, you’re going to investigate it,” Wohlever said. Investigators took material samples from the fire’s point of origin and sent them to the Ohio State Fire Marshal’s office for analysis.
“It’s not necessarily saying there was something,” Wohlever said. “It’s more a case of, why would a building that’s not occupied have a fire? We’d rather be safe than sorry, so we send the samples out”
Wohlever wouldn’t comment on possible causes of the hotel fire.
The Shady Lane homeowners, meanwhile, said their furnace recently broke, and on Tuesday afternoon they were using two fireplaces to heat their home just before the fire started. At some point the power went out, so they fled the home and called 911.
Crews were at both scenes until after 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters from Sandusky, Margaretta Township and Huron Township all provided assistance.