Leave Feedback

no avatar

Man at-large after assault

Alex Green • Feb 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM

A Port Clinton man facing felonious assault charges  remains at large after an alleged Saturday-night attack that put the victim in an intensive care unit. 


A warrant has been issued for Jeremiah Johnson, 25, of the 900 block Virginia St.. who allegedly smashed a whiskey bottle over the victim’s head.


“(The victim) is suffering from bleeding of the brain,” Port Clinton police Detective Corbin Carpenter said. “He was removed from a ventilator today.”


Officers were called to the victim’s residence Saturday, where they noticed a blood trail leading up to the front door of the West Fourth Street home.


They were called to the upstairs of the residence, where more blood was smeared all over the railing and walls, a police report said.


When police got to the victim, he was lying on the floor covered in blood as another man held his wounded head in a towel. The victim’s head had a large bump and was bleeding profusely, the report said.


Officers tried to ask the victim questions, but he could only respond with his first name. At that point, they just focused on trying to keep him awake, police said. 


Paramedics took the victim to Magruder Hospital for treatment. He was later taken to St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo, where he remained on Monday, police said.


Witnesses told police the alleged assault took place at a residence in the 900 block of Virginia St., so officers went there. They found a large amount of blood on the front porch and tried to walk into the house, only to have a woman shut the door, police said. 


They knocked on the front door, to no avail. Police then searched around the property, where they found more blood on the passenger’s side and interior of a car, which was later towed away as evidence.


It’s unknown what the long-term health consequences will be for the victim, Carpenter said.


Johnson has been convicted on two previous assault-related charges in Ottawa County Common Pleas Court — once in 2007 for felonious assault, then again in 2008 for attempted felonious assault.

Recommended for You