Sandusky Fire Department
Family, dog safe after early-morning fire
Jan 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Sandusky firefighters arrived at the home on Sandusky’s east side just a few minutes after 4 a.m., where it appeared a fire had sparked in the back kitchen area, Sandusky fire Capt. Dave Degnan said.
Firefighters knocked down the lower portion of the blaze, but flames had also spread higher. The home had multiple layers of roofing, likely due to expansions made over the years, Degnan said, which made the fire more difficult to knock down.
The fire had spread into those roof layers, forcing firefighters to rip out all the ceilings in the home to gain access to the flames, Degnan said. All told, it took firefighters until 5:20 a.m. to get the fire under control.
Degnan said investigators have not deemed the fire suspicious. Occupants told firefighters they were working on the home’splumbing on Sunday and had done some soldering work.
While that has not been ruled as the fire’s official cause, it’s a likely possibility, Degnan said.
Smoldering material could have fallen into a crevice and later re-ignited when exposed to oxygen, Degnan said. It appears the fire began near a water heater by the kitchen.