Leave Feedback

UPDATE: Willard standoff hostage identified

Sandusky Register Staff • Oct 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

UPDATE, 2:30 p.m. Thursday: The woman killed in last night's hostage situation is Kimberly Kelley, a Willard police dispatcher confirmed.

The dispatcher did not confirm the woman's age or hometown. A news release is expected soon with those details.

UPDATE, 11 a.m. Thursday: Willard police have confirmed the woman shot in last night's hostage situation at the Family Dollar has died.

They have not yet identified the woman. Dispatchers said a news release will be issued.

The gunman- Shawn Schuett, 19, of Egypt Road, just north of Willard, shot the woman in the head before turning the gun on himself.

Check back for further details as they become available.

ORIGINAL POST, Wednesday: Police said a gunman shot a hostage in the head at Family Dollar in Willard before turning the gun on himself and firing a single fatal shot to the head.

Shawn Schuett, 19, of Egypt Road near Willard, was pronounced dead shortly after the hours-long standoff.

Schuett held two Family Dollar employees hostage. One hostage managed to flee out the back door when Schuett began firing, but the other hostage — a woman whose identity has not been released — suffered a gunshot wound to the head. She was taken to Mercy Willard Hospital, and a medical helicopter was called in to transport her to another hospital, police said.

The woman's medical condition at this point is unknown.

The incident first began late in the afternoon, when Schuett forced a woman, at gunpoint, to drive him to the Family Dollar store. He let the woman go unharmed when they arrived at the store. At about 5:18 p.m. police began receiving calls from witnesses who saw a man enter the store with a gun.

An hours-long standoff ensued, with law enforcement officers from multiple agencies involved.

According to police, Schuett requested only one thing during the standoff: General Tso's chicken. Police acquired the chicken, but they never gave it to him.

At about 8 p.m. one of the hostages came running out the back door, yelling that Schuett was firing shots.

Police smashed out the front windows of the store to gain entry, at which point Schuett shot the remaining hostage and himself.

Pick up Thursday's Register for more on this story, including details from Schuett's family members, who explained how he acquired the rifle. 

Recommended for You