Leave Feedback

no avatar

Guard found dead at his home

Shawn Foucher • Oct 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Brian Biecheler, 33, was found dead Monday evening in his Huron home, not long after he left work early because of medical problems, authorities said. It’s not precisely known what medical problem prompted him to leave work, but authorities confirmed that during work earlier in the day, he had to physically restrain a child.

Erie County coroner Brian Baxter said Biecheler had diabetes, which may have contributed to his death. Baxter had Biecheler’s body transported to the Lucas County coroner’s office for an autopsy. The preliminary autopsy results should be available today or Wednesday.

Erie County Sheriff Paul Sigsworth said staff at the detention center called the sheriff’s office Monday evening to talk to Biecheler’s mother, who is an Erie County dispatcher. They told her that when Biecheler left work early, he took a set of jail keys with him, and the staff needed the keys back.

When a family member went to check on Biecheler at his home, he was found unresponsive. Huron police Chief Bob Lippert confirmed his officers were dispatched to Biecheler’s home early in the evening.   

They found no signs of foul play.

Huron police and Erie County deputies will likely handle the investigations into Biecheler’s death and the incident at the detention center, Erie County juvenile court Judge Robert DeLamatre said.

When reached by phone at his office at about 9:30 p.m. Monday, DeLamatre said his staff had not reported any unusual incidents to him.

DeLamatre later called the Register back after talking to his staff and said he learned Biecheler was, in fact, involved in an incident Monday in which he had to restrain a child who would not follow an order to move.

“Apparently there was a restraint this morning,” DeLamatre said. “It was described to me that it wasn’t anything unusual — a normal restraint, for what that is — and it wasn’t assaultive or very physically involved, such as fighting, screaming, kicking.”

A child in the detention center refused to go from one part of the building to the other, which prompted three corrections officers — one of them Biecheler — to carry him.

“Apparently after that, [Biecheler] said he wasn’t feeling well, so he visited the nurse at the detention center,” DeLamatre said. “He requested to go home after that. I don’t know what the nurse told him, what tests or anything she did.”

DeLamatre said he will review the detention center’s video surveillance of Monday’s incident.

“We’ll have the appropriate authorities investigate it and go from there,” he said.

Biecheler was also a part-time police officer in Monroeville.

Recommended for You