Leave Feedback

Former Sandusky resident killed in Baltimore

Courtney Astolfi • Oct 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

A former Sandusky woman was killed Sunday after a domestic dispute in Baltimore.

Family members said Latresha Gowdy moved to Baltimore about three years ago with her husband. She formerly operated a hair salon on Huron Avenue in Sandusky.

The Baltimore Sun reported that Gabrielle Smith, 30, was charged Monday with second-degree murder in Gowdy’s death.

The Sun gave the following account: Gowdy, 32, drove to her ex-husband’s apartment in the 4400 block of Fairview Ave. to pick up her 3-year-old son on Sunday night, according to charging documents. Gowdy saw Smith sitting outside with her ex-husband, and Gowdy grabbed a beer bottle from a barbecue grill and threatened Smith with it.

Smith then pulled out a pocket knife and threatened Gowdy with it as Gowdy’s ex-husband and other men tried to keep the women from fighting.

The charging documents say Gowdy’s ex-husband went inside the home to get the 3-year-old boy, believing he should get the child to his mother so she could leave. When he came back outside, the women were still fighting, and when they separated, Gowdy collapsed to the ground. She was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

A family member of Gowdy said Smith is the current girlfriend of Gowdy’s ex-husband.

The medical examiner determined Gowdy was cut on her arm and had a 6-inch-deep stab wound to her abdomen that hit a major artery, causing her to bleed internally. Smith told police she hid the pocket knife in the closet of the home on Fairview Avenue, where it was later recovered, according to the charging documents.

Smith was held without bail on the second-degree murder charge, and court records did not list an attorney for her.

Gowdy’s sister, Shameka Moore, called the Register Thursday to offer her input on the incident.

Moore said Gowdy and her husband were still married, but had separated just two months ago.

Moore also insisted Baltimore detectives never found Gowdy’s fingerprints on the beer bottle. While they did find a beer bottle at the scene, detectives found nothing linking it to Gowdy, according to Moore. Moore said she suspects Smith was the instigator.

Recommended for You