“Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle” – Sue Johnstone
• Volunteers are needed to act as guardians for senior citizens. All that is required is an interest in seeing to their welfare. It does not involve any dealings with finances. q A local agency that assists cancer patients is looking for gently used medical equipment like shower transfer benches, walkers, wheelchairs and other similar items. They are loaned free of charge to their clients. q Volunteers are needed to help with the next Farmers Market on Sept. 5. This is a great opportunity for families or groups to help low income families receive healthy food.
• A local theater will be putting on the following events this fall and would love your help. Sept. 28, will be “Octoberfest” and Nov. 12 will be “Puttin on the Ritz.” q A food bank and clothing bank is looking for donations of toiletries like tooth paste, tooth brushes, soap and deodorant. q If you have skills in taking basic vital signs, a local health care facility needs a volunteer to help monitor cardiac rehab clients. q The Rev 3 Triathlon is still looking for a few good volunteers. Course marshals, aide station workers, and general help are needed for the Sept. 6-8, event. It is great fun and you can help your favorite charity receive donations. Register yourself and a friend at rev3tri.com/cedar-point/ volunteer-5/sign-up.
• Children are going back to school and tutors are needed to help them with their studies.
• Volunteer to deliver meals to those who need assistance. There are various routes available, some using your own car with a gas stipend, and longer routes available using agency vehicles.
• Several agencies need volunteers to work in their resale stores. Hours are flexible.
• Volunteer to perform light clerical duties and help transport people in wheelchairs in a local health care facility. Hours are 10:30am-2:00pm.
• A detail oriented volunteer is needed to help stock medicines in a pharmacy.
More volunteer opportunities, with specific details, can be found through The Volunteer Center at thevolunteercenter. com , by calling 419-627-0074, or stopping by our office at 300 Central Ave., Sandusky. Lend-a-Hand is written by the staff of The Volunteer Center, a United Way of Erie County partner agency.