Leave Feedback

no avatar

Girl who sparked Ging Street beating gets four years

Jessica Cuffman • Aug 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM

About two years after she cracked a man in the head with a pipe to set off a mob-style beating on Ging Street, a Sandusky woman was convicted for her role in the attack. 

The woman, 18, pleaded guilty to complicity to commit attempted murder. The woman was 16 years old at the time of the attack. She was sentenced to four years in the Ohio Reformatory for Women at Marysville. 

In exchange for the plea, Erie County prosecutors dropped charges of complicity to commit felonious assault, inciting to violence and participating in a criminal gang. 

Police found the victim, Rocco Marinucci, lying on Townsend Street near Columbus Avenue at about 11:30 p.m. July 16, 2011. He suffered a serious head injury, a gash to the leg and bruises all over his body. 

After talking with Marinucci’s girlfriend, Amy Barnett, police learned it started when a mob of about 25 teens showed up outside Marinucci’s house at Townsend and Ging streets. The group tried to get Marinucci’s son to fight, but Marinucci came down off the porch instead. 

When the group surrounded Marinucci, the woman circled behind him and hit him in the head with a lead pipe. The rest of the group then jumped on Marinucci and began punching him. One of the attackers bashed Marinucci in the head with a brick, knocking him unconscious. 

Even then, the teens propped him up so others could continue the assault. Witnesses watched in horror as the group then dragged Marinucci’s limp body down the street. 

When police arrived the group scattered, and no arrests were made that night. Marinucci regained consciousness, and paramedics rushed him to Firelands Regional Medical Center. 

There, doctors discovered Marinucci’s brain was bleeding in several spots. In the days that followed, police identified nine of the alleged attackers. Other than the woman, the attackers were all Sandusky boys ages 14 and 15. 

Six have pleaded guilty to their roles in the beating, while a jury convicted another. Only one case remains open. That boy, now 17, is scheduled to stand trial at 8:30 a.m. May 20. 

The woman is scheduled for release in October 2016.

Recommended for You