Register news team earns 16 Associated Press awards
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM
The Register has been named best newspaper in the state for the past five years in its circulation class, which is the most competitive category. Division III includes The Morning Journal in Lorain, The Chronicle-Telegram in Elyria and the Findlay Courier.
The Register and its news team are nominated for 16 awards this year in the 2012 Ohio Associated Press Awards, Division III.
Here’s the list of the Register’s award winners:
• Design editor Karen Mork: Best headline writer.
• Chief designer Mike Schaffer: Best headline writer and best page one layout.
• News reporter Andy Ouriel: Best feature writer and best business writer.
• Senior design editor Nick Davis: Best graphics artist.
• Sports editor: Mark Hazelwood: Best sports feature writer and best sports enterprise reporting for “Endangered Panthers.”
• Chief photographer Jason Werling: Best photographer, best spot news photo for “Late Night Barn Fire,” and two awards for best use of multimedia for “Road Trip: Ohio 4” and “Huron Implodes ConAgra Facility.”
• Former photographer Angela Wilhelm: Best use of multimedia for “Huron Implodes ConAgra Facility.”
• Former graphic designer Tom Sherer: Best community service for “Xtreme Times.”
• News reporter Jessica Cuffman: Best investigative reporting for “Jailer Sexploitation.”
• Managing editor Matt Westerhold: Best columnist and best community service for “Xtreme Times.”
• Entire news team: Best special section, “Made Here.”
The best daily general excellence award and award places will be announced at the AP’s spring banquet in Columbus in May.