Leave Feedback

no avatar

Fire destroys Townsend Street home

Jessica Cuffman • Feb 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM

They escaped the blaze without harm, and firefighters worked to ventilate the house at 202 Townsend St. after knocking down the flames into early Sunday morning.

Roger Kempton, the property owner, went out to the scene when he heard about the fire to make sure his tenants were OK.

Firefighters were calling the American Red Cross to provide the family shelter for the night.

Kempton said the tenants had lived in the home at the intersection of Townsend and Ging streets for two years.

"It's an older house," he said. "We noticed how dry it was when we put in all new windows and a new door in the back. It's destroyed now."

The furnace in the home was new, but was built into the wall, he said.

While Kempton has insurance on the property, he was unsure if the tenants carried renters insurance.

For more on this story, pick up Monday's copy of the Register.

Recommended for You