Leave Feedback

Fire survivor alerted Sandusky residents to Friday blaze

Tom Jackson • Jan 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

When she went outside Friday night to smoke a cigarette on her porch she noticed something odd at 622 E. Washington.

“I thought it was fog at first,” she said.

Then she realized it was smoke from a fire.

“I ran out of the house and ran over there and started banging on the doors and windows,” she said. A woman was upstairs.

“When I started banging on the door, I guess she heard the fire alarm,” Brown said.

Brown then went to 624 E. Washington, where the fire was spreading, to make sure everyone got out there, too.

“I banged and banged for a long time,” she said.

Brown’s role in making sure everyone got out safely came to the Register’s attention Sunday, when Brown’s mother, Joyce Brown, called the newsroom.

“I’m proud of her,” Joyce Brown said.

Stephanie Brown’s home at 632 E. Washington was the scene of a house fire on April 23.

“There were three residents in the home at the time of the blaze, and all escaped uninjured,” the Register reported the next day.

Brown explained that she lives there and takes care of her grandmother and aunt, who also live there.

“We just got back in about three or four months ago,” she said.

The Friday night fire is being investigated as a possible arson by the Sandusky Police Department and Sandusky Fire Department. No arrests have been made yet in the case, police said Sunday.


Recommended for You