Leave Feedback

no avatar

Prosecutor moves to revoke Aaron Voltz's bond

Jessica Cuffman • Oct 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

A former Erie County employee awaiting trial on a rape charge could have his bond revoked for leaving home without permission.

Aaron Voltz, 38, of the 1500 block of E. Perkins Ave., was ordered to wear an electronic ankle monitor as a condition of his $75,000 bond, which he posted in July.

He has been on house arrest with work privileges pending his trial, although he’s also allowed to make grocery store visits and legal or medical appointments with permission.

Voltz was arrested July 10 for allegedly raping a 26-year-old woman at her Cleveland Road apartment in Huron.

On Monday, employees at Oriana House — the agency monitoring Voltz’s electronic house arrest — were unable to contact him and had no idea where he went for that short time.

Voltz’s case worker, Tiffany Sheibly, discovered he left his home for 14 minutes after 3 a.m., according to court documents.

A few hours later Sheibly called Voltz and asked him about the alert, but Voltz told her he never left home.

Sheibly then went to his house to make sure the electronic monitor was working. The battery appeared to be fully charged and the docking station was picking up the monitor’s signal, Sheibly said in a report to her supervisors.

“He is in violation of programming rules,” Sheibly’s report stated.

Dean Holman, special prosecutor in the case, filed a motion Wednesday in Erie County Common Pleas Court to cancel Voltz’s bond.

Voltz's attorney on Thursday filed a response to the motion, saying the electronic monitoring company has had multiple problems with their monitoring system.

Judge Tygh Tone, who previously continued Voltz’s bond and modified the conditions to allow him to work, will ultimately decide whether to continue the bond or revoke it.

Voltz has been working at Keys Golf Course on Boos Road, a position he took shortly after he was arrested and fired.

Recommended for You