Leave Feedback

no avatar

Officer Dunn shot five times; other details released

Sarah Weber • Jan 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

(UPDATED AT 9:10 A.M.) It took less than a minute for Sandusky police Officer Andy Dunn's routine traffic stop to go terribly wrong.

Information released by investigators Tuesday sheds new light on the events leading to Dunn's shooting death.

Dunn, 30, was patrolling near Tyler Street and Hayes Avenue at 2:59 a.m. Saturday when he spotted Kevin D. Randleman, 50, riding his bike in the street with no lights — a violation of Ohio law, investigators said.

Dunn tried to talk to Randleman, who evaded the officer, investigators said.

Dunn turned his cruiser around and activated his overhead lights, pulling Randleman over. Before leaving his cruiser, Dunn asked the radio dispatcher to check if Randleman had any active warrants.

As Dunn exited the cruiser to talk to Randleman, he noticed Randleman had his hand in his pocket, investigators said.

Dunn asked him to remove his hand from his pocket, but that's when Randleman allegedly started firing.

Dunn was hit with five rounds from a Colt "Detective's Special" .38-caliber revolver. Four bullets pierced his flesh; one lodged in his bulletproof vest.

Randleman allegedly fired a sixth round that went astray, investigators said.

Though critically wounded, Dunn managed to raise his gun and return fire, emptying 12 rounds from his .40-caliber Glock service pistol at Randleman, who tried to run away, investigators said.

Two of the bullets from Dunn's handgun hit their mark, wounding Randleman's arm. The other rounds struck windows in the upper floor of a Firelands Regional Medical Center building.

The entire incident took less than 60 seconds, investigators said.

In his last moments of consciousness, Dunn called for a signal 11 on his radio — code for an officer in trouble.

Back-up officers pulled up just after the weapons fell silent, investigators said.

The rest of the officers working that morning arrived soon after, scrambling to save their fallen comrade.

Their panicked voices were heard on police radio traffic yelling, "Shots fired!" and "Officer down!"

The officers called ahead to the hospital's emergency room, telling medical staff to prepare for the badly wounded officer.

They told the ambulance to step on it.

Paramedics arrived at the scene by 3:05 a.m. and transported Dunn to the emergency room at Firelands.

Several officers then went after Randleman, who escaped to the southwest corner of the hospital building, investigators said. There were no active warrants for his arrest.

Police took him into custody and by 3:06 a.m. they called for a second ambulance to take him to the hospital for gunshot wounds to the arm.

Emergency room doctors rushed to save the two men.

Medical staff stabilized Randleman, who was then flown by helicopter to the University of Toledo Medical Center. He is now recovering there, guarded by sheriff's deputies.

Doctors worked on Dunn for more than an hour, though a coroner's preliminary autopsy released Tuesday indicated he may have died just minutes after he was shot.

In the end, doctors' best efforts couldn't save the young officer.

Dunn was officially pronounced dead at 4:33 a.m.

Lucas County coroners who examined Dunn on Monday found bullets had torn through both lungs, as well as his pancreas, stomach, liver and spleen. The .38-caliber bullets hit two vertebra and passed through his left forearm, while three bullets ripped through his back.

The coroner's report noted signs of "extensive resuscitation efforts" on Dunn's body.

The coroner's preliminary report does not indicate the distance between Dunn and the shooter, though Erie County prosecutor Kevin Baxter said video recordings from Dunn's cruiser show the two men were about "a car's length" from each other.

Erie County officials have refused to release the video and audio recordings from Dunn's police cruiser. A Sandusky Municipal Court judge on Tuesday approved an order barring investigators and attorneys from releasing the records.

Multiple public records experts said Tuesday the county's refusal to release the recordings is a clear violation of Ohio's public records laws.

Investigators found the .38-caliber revolver allegedly used in the shooting laying in the street. The gun contained six spent shells, investigators said.

They found the single bullet that didn't hit Dunn near the scene of the shooting.

Erie County Sheriff's detectives and the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation continue to investigate the case. They'll be releasing additional information "as appropriate," they said.

• For details on the funeral procession for Officer Andy Dunn, more community reaction and details of the investigation see Wednesday's Register.

• Read the entire sheriff's report by clicking on the document below:

Recommended for You