Leave Feedback

no avatar

JASON'S MAILBAG: Is the food pantry open to everyone?

Jason Singer • Feb 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Q: Does Care and Share in Sandusky serve residents outside of Erie County? Or can only Erie County residents go? Thanks! — Paul in Bellevue

A: Unfortunately, Paul, Sandusky's Care and Share can only serve Erie County residents. It's both a legal issue (its 501C3 status is Care and Share of Erie County) and a logistical issue: They don't have enough supplies to serve more than Erie County.

Luckily, if you live in the Sandusky County portion of Bellevue, you can attend the Care and Share in Fremont. There are also other food shelters and pantries that serve Huron, Ottawa and Seneca counties. For information on those, call the Second Harvest Food Bank of North Central Ohio in Lorain at 440-960-2265. Second Harvest provides the food for many pantries like Care and Share throughout the area, and they can probably point you in the right direction, depending on which county you live in.

For background information on the Care and Share of Erie County, as well as to see if you qualify financially, click HERE to view the Feb. 21 Jason's Mailbag.

Jason's Mailbag is now a daily feature on SanduskyRegister.com. Every weekday at noon, we will post one question-and-answer from a resident. On Mondays, we will collect the questions from the previous week and place them in the print edition.

To ask Jason a question, send a letter to 314 W. Market St., or e-mail singer@ sanduskyregister.com. Please include your first name and a location in the e-mail, e.g. “John from Decatur Street."

Recommended for You