Leave Feedback

Fremont bar shooting suspect arrested

Courtney Astolfi • Nov 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Thirty-two hours after he allegedly unleashed carnage inside a Fremont bar, Igmidio Roger Mista, 33, was arrested and charged with three counts of murder.

As a result of his arraignment hearing later Monday, Mista was ordered held without bond.

He is now awaiting a March 20 court appearance, but he must also answer to U.S. immigration officials because he is no longer in the country legally, Fremont police Chief Tim Wiersma said.

Click HERE for full coverage of the Last Call Triple Homicide

At about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, a resident who lives above the Last Call Bar phoned police to report hearing three gunshots.

In a second call placed from inside the bar, a woman’s chilling screams pierce the sounds of chaos inside the place, as a faint voice tells police of shots fired.

Officers arrived within a minute to find patrons performing CPR on the shooting victims, Wiersma said. Mista, meanwhile, had already fled the scene.    Off-duty Elmore police officer Jose Andy Chavez, 26, and bartender Ramiro Sanchez, 28, both died at the scene, according to relatives.

Daniel Ramirez, 25, died a short while later at Fremont Memorial Hospital.

Ramiro “Juni” Arreola, 25, was taken to a Toledo hospital. Manuel Chavez, uncle to Arreola, Andy Chavez and the wife of Daniel Ramirez, said Arreola was released from the hospital late Sunday night.

“He’s in good shape,” Chavez said.

Watch the Fremont police press conference in the player below


Fremont police had been searching for Mista ever since the shooting. At about 9:30 a.m. Monday, Fremont officers Kevin Armbruster and George Dorsey went to a home in the 600 block of South Park Ave. to follow up on yet another lead in the case.

Upon knocking, the officers were met by one of Mista’s relatives. Mista himself then approached the door and was taken into custody without a struggle, Wiersma said.

Investigators did not question him, as he asked for his attorney when he arrived at the Fremont police department, Wiersma said.

Mista hails from the Phillipines and is currently undocumented, Wiersma said. He was here legally initially, but at some undetermined point he failed to follow up with his passport documentation.

U.S Marshals helped local officers scour the area for Mista all day Sunday, Wiersma said, while U.S. Customs and Immigrations officials have charges waiting for him pertaining to his immigrant status.

Mista has an abbreviated history with Fremont police, but a history nonetheless, according to police reports.

On Feb. 8, 2013, he was involved in another incident at the Last Call Bar, Wiersma said. On that occasion, the police complaint was more focused on those Mista visited the bar with, and not Mista himself, Wiersma said

Additionally, Mista’s criminal record lists two separate incidents in which he was arrested in recent years.

In April 2012 he was cited for open container, littering and possession of drug paraphernalia. In January 2010, he was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Manuel Chavez said his family was pleased Mista is in custody.

“We’re all kind of happy they caught the guy” Chavez said.

It’s been a tough two days for them.

“Right now we’re still just mourning for our loved ones. We’re just staying strong, staying positive and taking one day at a time” Chavez said.

Both Chavez and Wiersma offered new information Monday on the events leading up to the shootings. Wiersma indicated Mista was accompanied to the bar about a half hour before the shooting by Hugo Ibarra, 37.

Ibarra was charged with obstruction shortly after the shooting, after he refused to cooperate with investigators, Wiersma said.

Chavez explained that Ibarra — not Mista, as previously reported — had tried to make a pass at Ramirez’s wife, Vernie, inside the bar.

“I guess he was trying to make a move on my niece or trying to hit on her, and then she told him to get lost” Chavez said.

It was then Ibarra allegedly struck Vernie, prompting her husband to react, Chavez said. That allegedly triggered a fistfight, although it remains unclear who was involved.

“Andy was going to go and try to break it up — Juni, too — and when that happened, the triggerman, I guess he jumped in and started shooting,” Chavez said.

Wiersma said Mista then escaped through a side door on Park Avenue. He was arrested in a Park Avenue home, about half a mile south of the bar, on Monday morning.

Mista is being held locally until his next court appearance in 10 days. He could face additional charges, as could Ibarra, for the events prior to the shooting, Wiersma said.

Fremont police are still asking the public for more information about that night.

“Our sympathy as a department and city goes out to the families of the victims in their grieving from this horrid and senseless tragedy,” Wiersma stated in a release.

Said Chavez: “Today, we’re just trying to get by”

Recommended for You