Leave Feedback

No indictment in Cordle killing

Register • Nov 29, 2014 at 7:34 AM

A grand jury that heard evidence last week in the 1988 killing of Isabel Cordle did not return an indictment today.

Sandusky County sheriff's deputy Sean O'Connell contacted family members shortly after the grand jury's decision. 

"He told me the problem was the show went after one person and in the grand jury they went after another," Richard Cordle Jr. told the Register. "He said one witness also changed their testimony from when they talked to detectives and what they told the grand jury."

The "show" O'Connell referred to is the TNT television network's "Cold Justice" program, which teams up celebrity detectives with local law enforcement agencies to solve old cases that weren't resolved. In February 2013, Sandusky County Sheriff Kyle Overmyer contacted the program and asked for help with the killing of Isabel Cordle.

She was killed by an unknown assailant on Jan. 24, 1988, who used an axe, striking Isabel Cordle in the head and killing her instantly.

The "Cold Justice" episode featuring the axe killing first aired in October, and finished with just one person remaining as a suspect, Richard Cordle Sr.

Cordle Sr. has always maintained his innocence, and after the program aired O'Connell said new information was developed that cleared him and pointed to another person.  

O'Connell and Sandusky County prosecutor Tom Stierwalt were not immediately available for comment on Monday.

Click here to read related articles. 

Recommended for You