Most of us have memories of being completely awestruck by a shimmering array of holiday lights. Thanks to many area businesses and parks, we can revisit those feelings for little to nothing — and share the sights with our families and friends. So fill the thermos with hot chocolate, grab your hats and mittens and be on your merry way.
Christmas Light Show Spectacular
• WHERE: Ghostly Manor Thrill Center, 3319 Milan Rd., Sandusky
• HOURS: 6 p.m. through Dec. 31; show begins every half hour
• COST: Free; donation of non-perishable food item accepted
• INFO: 419-626-4467
This amazing holiday light show features seven songs that play during the 25-minute production. The lights are synchronized with the music, so you’ll see over 75,000 lights illuminating the night! The show will broadcast live on radio station 99.7 FM, so you and the family can enjoy the sights and sounds from the warmth of the car.
Christmas in the Park
• WHERE: New London Recreational Park, 1 Blake St., New London
• HOURS: 6-9 p.m. through Jan. 1
• COST: Free
• INFO: 419-929-8069
There will be various lighted displays for Christmas in the woods of New London. Take the family on a short ride out to this small, quiet town and enjoy the sights.
Festival of Trees & Animated Windows
• WHERE: Sandusky State Theatre, 107 Columbus Ave., Sandusky
• HOURS: Daily through Jan. 1
• COST: Free
• INFO: 419-626-1950 or sanduskystate.com
Take a walking tour inside the Sandusky State Theatre to see all of the beautifully decorated Christmas trees. Afterwards, take a casual stroll through downtown Sandusky, where you can view the 12 fully animated windows that depict Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.”
Festival of Lights Display
• WHERE: Sawmill Creek Resort, 400 Sawmill Creek Dr., Huron
• HOURS: 5 p.m. through Jan. 1
• COST: Free
• INFO: 419-433-3800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The tradition continues, and the sky will be illuminated once again! Millions of lights will be on display, depicting your favorite holiday songs.
Lorain County MetroParks Holiday Lights
• WHERE: Carlisle Visitor Center, 12882 Diagonal Rd., LaGrange
• HOURS: 6-9 p.m. Sun.-Thurs., 6-10 p.m. Fri.-Sat., through Dec. 30 (closed Dec. 24-25)
• COST: One nonperishable food item per visitor
• INFO: 440-458-5121
This is the perfect family event for the holidays. Come see the bright lights of Holiday Lights at the Carlisle Visitor Center in LaGrange, where are thousands upon thousands of of lights on display. Take a brisk walk down the trail around the Carlisle Visitor Center, which has been decorated by area organizations and businesses. The Little Green Choo Holiday Express also runs on a separate trail. Afterwards, warm up inside with hot drinks and sweet snacks for a small fee. There will also be holiday music and movies to enjoy.
For great photos of the area’s best light displays, be sure to check out the Sunday edition of the Sandusky Register.