Leave Feedback

Road Trip Final Day: We made it

Jason Werling • Jul 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

We had to tell a lot of people they couldn’t come with us on our U.S. 6 East Road Trip from Sandusky Bay to Cape Cod Bay. Arthur didn’t listen.

The final day of our trip was our wettest, by far. Our day started with donuts in Providence, R.I. The boys and I side-stepped puddles and raindrops on our way there and our way back.

We hopped in the car, found our way to U.S. 6 and pointed the car east for the last 150+ miles of the journey to Provincetown, MA.

As soon as we knew it we were already out of Rhode Island and into Massachussetts. Throughout our drive Friday the Grand Army of the Republic Highway was anywhere from two lanes to six lanes as we traveled through small towns, over rivers and under the clouds of Tropical Storm Arthur.

We made our first stop in New Bedford, MA at the Whaling Museum. The port of New Bedford was a major hub of the whaling industry. Guests of the museum are greeted with skeletons of several different whale breeds and one doesn’t realize the magnitude of the largest animals on the planet until you are standing under them.

The New Bedford State Pier had planned Friday festivities, but Arthur ruined their plans. We walked to the pier where the Seastreak, a ferry to Martha’s Vineyard, docks. The boys gave smiley stickers to the employees there and also gave a stack for the next boat’s passengers.

We walked back to the museum and as we did Arthur came with us, this time with thunder and lightning. When a lightning bolt set off the fire alarm at the museum, the building was evacuated and we took that as a sign to get back on 6.

Many streets of New Bedford were flooded and as we traveled east we saw more flooding to the point where a car or two were disabled in the flood waters. We avoided those areas through parking lots of adjacent businesses.

As we neared Provincetown we made one last ice cream stand stop at Arnold’s Lobster and Crab Bar and were given some tips for our next couple days in Boston, our destination after the destination.

Our last twenty miles with Arthur was a steady downpour as U.S. 6 had sand on either side of the road for the first time of our trip.

By this time Payton was napping and Will and I had to wake him up for one final photo-op at the sign marking one of the ends of U.S. 6. We took a Werling selfie with Arthur providing more rain and then hopped back in the car for a search for a place to sleep.

A night of camping and watching fireworks across Cape Cod Bay was planned for Friday, but again, Arthur wasn’t having it. We found a place near the Cape as to hopefully see what the area looks like when there is sun. I’ve heard good things. 

Thanks for being a part of our trip this year and pick up the July 13 edition of the Register for a wrap up and more photos.

Watch Day 5 as it happens below

Click HERE for past Bay to Bay posts

Here's our list of sponsors, please check out their pages...  Victory HondaDockside AccommodationsLake Erie Shores & IslandsReMax Quality RealtyThe Old DutchCameo PizzaBear Mountain InnCedar LanesClass of 2000 Streak of Excellence ScholarshipSandusky SteelBayshore Beverage/Maples MotelHuron and Sandusky McDonald'sSandusky Paint CompanyGreen Door Media WorksScarlett O’HairBay Area Soccer LeagueBGSU FirelandsErie MetroParks and Mulvin Farms

Recommended for You