Leave Feedback

Notes for Erie, Huron county farmers

Register • May 13, 2014 at 4:10 AM


USDA will offer soybean producers the opportunity to request a referendum on the Soybean Promotion and Research Order as authorized under the Soybean Promotion, Research and Consumer Information Act. Soybean producers who are interested in having a referendum to determine whether to continue the Soybean Checkoff Program are invited to participate. To be eligible to participate, producers must certify and provide documentation that shows they produced soybeans and paid an assessment on the soybeans during the period of Jan. 1, 2012, through Dec. 31, 2013.

Producers may obtain a form by mail, fax or in person from FSA county offices until May 30. Forms are also available on the AMS website. Producers who don’t participate in FSA programs can still request a referendum at the FSA county office where they own or rent land. Completed forms and supporting documentation must be returned to the appropriate FSA county office by fax or in person no later than the close of business May 30.

If returned by mail, it must be postmarked by midnight May 30 and received in the office by the close of business June 5. For more information, contact your local FSA office.


In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit their local FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline. By calling ahead and scheduling an appointment, we can be prepared for you and will get you in and out of the office quickly.

The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for Ohio FSA producers:

•June 2, 2014 — Report Nursery Crop Acreage.

•July 15, 2014 — Report all your burley tobacco, cabbage (planted March 19, 2014-May 31, 2014), corn, grain sorghum, hybrid corn seed, spring oats, popcorn, potatoes, soybeans. Sugar beets, tomatoes and all other crops. n Aug. 15, 2014 — Report cabbage (planted June 1, 2014-July 20, 2014). n Sept. 30, 2014 — Report Aquaculture.

•Dec. 15, 2014 — Fall barley, fall wheat, and all other fall-seeded small grains.

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

•If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.

•If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendar days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.

•If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only” “green manure” “left standing” or “seed” then the acreage must be reported by July 15. Noninsured crop disaster Assistance Program policy holders should note the acreage reporting date for NAP-covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, please contact the Huron/Erie County FSA office at 419-668-4113.


With spring planting quickly approaching, the FSA encourages farmers to report failed crop acreage that will not be brought to harvest to their FSA office. Failed acreage must be reported to FSA before destroying and replanting to allow time for a field check. It is very important farmers report failed acreage that will not be brought to harvest to the FSA office prior to destruction. This simple act of ensuring failed acres are documented could be the determining factor in whether or not a farmer is eligible for future crop disaster program payments should they become available. Form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, is used to report failed acreage and may be completed by any producer with an interest in the crop.

For crop losses covered by the Non-insured Assistance Program, producers must contact their local FSA office within 15 days of the occurrence of the disaster or when losses become apparent. Producers with crop insurance should also contact their local agent when losses occur and before destroying the crop. Producers are encouraged to keep good production records on acreage with a low crop yield to document crop losses. To be eligible for crop disaster programs in the future, production records may help support crop loss claims. Additional information in regard to failed crop acreage or crop losses covered by NAP can be obtained by contacting your local FSA Office.


Once we start to roll out Farm Bill programs administered by FSA, there will be related signups, and in some cases multiple management decisions, that need to be made by you, the producer, in consult with FSA staff. Currently the only programs available for you to sign up for pertain to disaster programs. If you believe you have had an eligible loss, contact our office to see if any of the programs available might help your situation. To ensure maximum use of your time and to ensure you are afforded our full attention to your important business needs, please call our office ahead of your visit to set an appointment and to discuss any records or documentation you may need to have with you when you arrive.


Are you looking for answers to your FSA questions? Then ask FSA at askfsa.custhelp.com.

AskFSA is an online resource that helps you easily find information and answers to your FSA questions no matter where you are or what device you use. It is for ALL customers who wish to be enrolled in FSA loans, farm and conservation programs.

Through AskFSA you can:

•Access our knowledge base 24/7.

•Get answers to your questions faster.

•Submit a question and receive a timely response from an FSA expert.

•Get notifications when answers important to you and your farming operation are updated.

•Customize your account settings and view responses at any time. It is FSA’s self-service assistance anytime, anywhere.

Recommended for You