There’s a chill in the air and a crunch underfoot. Fall’s here, and it’s time for the spooks to come out. But don’t wait for them to find you — head to one of these favorite haunts and put yourself to the test. Are you brave enough to make it all the way through?
Ghostly Manor Thrill Center
• Where: 3319 Milan Road, Sandusky
• When: Opens at noon every day; hours vary (call or check website for more details)
• Cost: $11/ages 10 and up, $7/ages 9 and under
• Info: 419-626-4467 or ghostlymanor.com
Ghosts lurk in every corner as you wander through this old mansion. See if you can make it all the way through as Ghostly Manor comes alive to reveal your deepest fears. The second haunt, Ghostly Gauntlet, was added in 2010 and will be back again for the 2011 season.
Voted as one of the top-rated haunts in the nation, it’s right in our own backyard. This year, the crew at Ghostly Manor has gone all out, adding more scares, expanding the haunt by 50% and keeping the ticket prices the same. Not recommended for children under 9.
Bonus: You can get a discounted coupon for admission to any of Ghostly Manor’s attractions immediately after signing up for their mailing list. Visit their website and click on “Coupons” for more details.
• Where: Lucas County Fairgrounds, 1406 Key St., Maumee
• When: 8 p.m.-12 a.m. Sept. 30, Oct. 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29; 8-10 p.m. Oct. 16, 20, 23, 27, 30 & 31
• Cost: For both attractions, $25/adult & $15/child (under 10); for House of the Dead, $20/adult & $10/child (under 10); $30/VIP Front of the Line Speed Pass (for adult or child; includes
• Info: terrortown.net
Toledo’s longest running haunt is also one of the largest in Northwest Ohio. Their main haunt, House of the Dead, is single-handedly bigger than most multi-haunts you’ll see. Other haunted attractions at Terror Town include the Big Top Terror. There’s also the Hellevator, which will deliver you to a new floor of the house this year. This season’s brand new twists and turns await you on your journey through the haunt.
Carnival of Horrors
• Where: 1145 W. Steels Corners, Cuyahoga Falls; located at Blossom Music Center
• When: 7:30 p.m.-12 a.m. Sept. 30,
Oct. 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29; 7:30-10 p.m. Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30
• Cost: $19/full admission (all four haunts), $23/Speed Pass (all four haunts, no waiting)
• Info: carnivalofhorrors.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Featuring four unique attractions, Carnival of Horrors has been consistently rated as one of the most terrifying haunted houses in Ohio. Insane Asylum is a pulsing, winding and chaotic labyrinth of wrong turns, dead ends and terrifying inmates. The Fun House (which is not so fun, if you’re afraid of clowns) takes you on a terrifying journey through a haunted Hollywood-style fun house. (Beware: this is an extremely high intensity scare-oriented haunted house.)
The Freakshow in 3D Terrorvision is Ohio’s first and most original fully 3D walk-through house, using state of the art Chromadepth 3-D glasses. The floor, walls and ceiling become a 3D nightmare. In the Wicked Woods, you won’t know what to expect — mostly because you’ll never see anything coming. With only a flashlight, you have to try and find your way out.
The Haunted Hydro
• Where: 1333 Tiffin St., Fremont
• When: 7:30-11:30 p.m. Sept. 30, Oct. 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29; 5:30-10:30 p.m. Oct. 9, 16, 23, 30 & 31
• Cost: $12/single attraction (Teleport to Terror or Hell-Gate), $17/combo ticket (admission to both haunts), $21/Monster Bash ticket, $8/person for Friendly Monster Matinee Sunday
• Info: 419-332-7380, thehauntedhydro.com or email@example.com
Beware the 100-year curse: 2011 marks the year of the Hydro building’s 100th birthday. This year, the attraction features two haunts. The Teleport to Terror will transport you to unknown depths of darkness, where you’ll experience ten decades of decay. The brand new Hell-Gate is a mega maze of frightening fog, intense lightning and serious scares lurking around every turn.
There’s also a Ghoul-A-Bration Pre-Show, which features a fun and entertaining Creature Feature Parade, a fire eating show, poi light dancing, drumming, sparking, a choreographed Monster Mix dance, prizes, surprises and more. This Ghoul-A-Bration Pre-Show is included in the ticket price, so be sure to get there early.
The Wheel of Fortune Misfortune hosted by Nemesis is an interactive game show that combines elements from Fear Factor, The Gong Show and Simon Says. You can win prizes or enjoy watching others play along. If you’re looking for more family-oriented fun for a younger crowd, there are Monster Matinees on select Sundays in October. Check the website for more details.
Haunted Prison Experience
• Where: 100 Reformatory Road, Mansfield
• When: 7-11 p.m. Oct. 6, 13, 20 & 27; 7 p.m.-12 a.m. Oct. 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29; 7-10 p.m. Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 & 31
• Cost: $17/ticket
• Info: 419-360-5689 or hauntedx.com
Probably one of the most famous haunts in all of Ohio, the Haunted Prison Experience is an attraction located inside the Ohio State Reformatory. Production company Haunted X completes the reformatory with actors, animatronics and props. There’s a reason they call it “the supernatural meets the
special effects” — this isn’t your typical haunted house.
You must be at least 13 years old to enter. There are also food vendors, gift shops and entertainment on the grounds. The experience lasts about 45 minutes — depending on how fast you’re running.
• Where: 1579 W. River Road, Elyria. Located directly across from Midway Mall, behind Olive Garden.
• When: 7 p.m.-12 a.m. Sept. 23, 24, 30 & Oct. 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 & 29; 7-10 p.m. Oct. 9, 13, 16, 20, 23 & 27.
• Cost: $15/general admission (includes all three haunts)
• Info: 440-822-8381 or elyriahauntedhouse.com
Elyria’s Hauntville attraction includes three separate haunts: Psycho Manor, The Dark Abyss and Cellblock13. Psycho Manor is a 1920s Victorian mansion where ghosts and spirits still roam the darkened hallways. The Dark Abyss is where all your fears and phobias come alive. Cellblock 13 is a prison gone crazy — will you make it out alive?
7 Floors of Hell
• Where: 19191 Bagley Road, Middleburg Heights
• Hours: 7-10 p.m. Thu. & Sun., 7 p.m.-12 a.m. Fri. & Sat.
• Dates: Fri., Sat. & Sun. from Sept. 24-Oct. 31; Thu. nights start until Oct. 14
• Cost: $20 for any three haunts, $23 for all seven haunts, $30 for a Speed Pass (which puts you at the front of the line with no waiting)
Touted as Cleveland’s “biggest and best haunted house,” this attraction features seven haunted houses in one location. The whole show takes around two hours to go through. The haunt changes most scenes every year in order to provide uniquely terrifying experiences. They suggest arriving a little before 7 p.m. — “early is always better to beat the crowds.”
The website recommends that children ages 10 and under should be accompanied by an adult, but parents should make the judgment call. There are concession trailers and a souvenir shop. No alcohol allowed on premises.